26 March, 2010

Things I (re)learned and realized this past weekend

We'll go in reverse for no other reason than I can, not like anyone reads this but for me.

I enjoy the company of good friends; of which I have a few.
I've been told my buttermilk cornbread tastes even better on the second day.
I stay up way too late. Frequently.
Falling off the bed trying to retrieve the phone from underneath the bed is both horribly painful (bruises to prove it) and also entirely hysterical, even if no one saw it.
Coffee does not prevent me from taking naps. At all. I can sleep when I need to.
I prefer sleeping with the heat off. I would rather wrap myself tightly in blankets.
I also prefer sleeping without pants on. Too warm. I know I'm not alone in this thinking.
I am able to go to sleep before midnight, but only if I've gotten up early in the morning.
I can still drink all day. Haven't done that in quite awhile.
I enjoy children. They're amusing and seem to like me a bunch too.
Barleywine has a high ABV and makes me giggle. I like laughing.
Bacon is awesome. So is my Viking cookware.
My spare room really needs to be cleaned out. It's horrifying.
I laugh. A lot. Sometimes at inappropriate times and things. Oh well. That's kind of me.
I miss my mom way more than I let on to people (but not here, here I talk about her more than anything else)
I can still cry. At the strangest things. Missing old places I used to live. My dad being happy again or is that finally?
Aleve makes me twitchy. And it's obvious.
And last (or first) but not least, non-homogenized milk is pretty awesome. Totally stumbled upon it in the grocery and baked and cooked with it all weekend.

That essentially takes me from Monday night (of a 3 day weekend) back to Friday night.

And here I will end. It's after midnight thirty and I have to get up in 6 hours for work. Work that I love, but have nowhere forward to go, so I need to formulate a plan of what I want to do for the future. Stick with it, but somewhere that I can advance? Go back to restaurants/food service? Pitch it all and go into working with kids? Teaching? Is that even possible for me? My family is filled with teachers...it would seem almost logical that I end up teaching. But I have never done what was right, logical or easy.

Someone once asked me if I was happy. And I am. But I'm not challenged right now and I think after too long I will lose the happy. And I never want to lose the happy. Another person asked me if I was where I thought I would be in life. And I'm not sure what to make of that. I was never one of those people who planned out the details of my life. Sure, I never anticipated moving here. Nor did I anticipate being the manger of a local kitchen shop. I knew that I wasn't really corporate bound. I don't have issues with authority, but I do find it ridiculous to follow rote rules and regulations written for a national (or international) company that just don't take into account the individuality of its markets, employees and customers. Therefore, no cookie cutter mindset for me. Ah well, bugger it all. I'll think more on this later. I've just spent another 10 minutes writing more when I had planned to stop over a paragraph ago. But that is also another facet of me. I can talk to anyone. Anywhere, anytime. About anything. It's something I may have picked up from my dad. I've grown more like him in attitude as of late. "We'll go from there" and "we'll see what comes" are the two phrases that he uses the most. In the face of happiness, adversity, or just plain old indecision, those are his protectors. And now mine.

I love. A lot. A whole bunch of people. Some near. Some far. Some who know, some who don't. I never regret. Life is too short to second guess the small shit. And sometimes even the big stuff. You've just got to ride it as it comes along and go from there.

Listening: Something to Believe In by Aqualung
Feeling: yes

No comments: